Monday 4 March 2013

Cardinal O'Brien: Sorry

“In recent days, certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. 
“Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.
“However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.”
"To those who I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness.
“To the Catholic Church and people of Scotland, I also apologise.
“I will now spend the rest of my life in retirement. I will play no further part in the public life of the Catholic Church in Scotland."

Cardinal Keith O'Brien fesses up in a statement.
Again, maybe we should see how fucked-up over the gay thing he was as a sign that he was another victim of our society's - and his church's - homophobia?
Oh, and the photo above of O'Brien kissing Pope John Paul II's ring while their hands meet on a large pink shaft was used by The Sun online.
Tee hee!

PS And while we're on the subject of apologies I've deleted a post from yesterday as some people said it was childish and made me sound like a bitter old queen. It was and I am. Well old-ish. Sorry. All criticism of Fagburn is gratefully received. 

2 comments:

  1. Actually, he doesn't fess up to the things that were alleged.

    “However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.”

    This would be consistent with his miscoduct having taken the form of having an affaire with his female housekeeper.

    He's trying to avoid saying he's gay. His statement that the RC Church should reconsider priestly celibacy may have been an attempt to plant the idea that he's a straight man who, in frustration, jumped the fence in a moment of something or other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point - but he does begin by saying he will no longer contest the allegations - all made by men...

      Delete