Wednesday 10 June 2015

Homophobia Watch: Hairdresser On Fire

A hairdresser has taken dramatic action after a customer refused to let a stylist cut his son’s hair when he realised he was gay

Russell Hughes, who owns Russell Paul Hairdressing in Prestatyn, North Wales, wants to make sure bigoted people never enter his salon again.

He has put a sign in his window which states: “If you are racist, sexist, homophobic or an a***hole... don’t come in.”

It comes after a man called in to ask if someone could cut his son’s hair, reports the Daily Post.

But he walked back out again after questioning the sexual orientation of 23-year-old stylist Richard Evans.

Russell, 49, explained: “It was a normal busy day at the salon when a man called in with his wife and child, who must have been about 10 years old...

“He asked if anyone could cut his son’s hair and I told him yes, that’s fine.

“I was already with a client and so I asked my colleague Richard if he would do it.

“The man came up to me at that point and said: ‘I’m not being funny but did you just say that lad’s going to cut my son’s hair’, to which I replied ‘yes’.

“He then said, ‘Well I assume he’s gay and I don’t want him cutting my lad’s hair so could you do it’, to which I said no because I’m gay as well.”


Russell, whose salon is the official salon for the cast of Prestatyn movie Womble [!], in which he also appears, said the man stood up and left without another word, but the exchange left staff shocked...


Much of the gay media thought this sign banning bigots was AWESOME!

And obviously completely different from, say, a Christian bakers refusing to make a cake supporting gay marriage.

1 comment:

  1. Sigh... But it is completely different from a Christian bakers refusing to bake a cake. The sign is indicating that homophobes etc are not welcome, just like by all accounts, it was well known locally that the Christian Bakery wasn't exactly targeting gay marriage supporters to be its customers. The hair salon is not refusing to serve homophobes.

    The sign is silly and self righteous, but someone who doesn't want his lad's hair cut by a gay man is not a victim. Let's not get confused as to who is on the side of the angels.

    ReplyDelete