Monday 24 February 2014

Alec Baldwin: Goodbye Public Life

Now I loathe and despise the media in a way I did not think possible. I used to engage with the media knowing that some of it would be adversarial, but now it’s superfluous at best and toxic at its worst. If MSNBC went off the air tomorrow, what difference would it make? If the Huffington Post went out of business tomorrow, what difference would it make? Arianna Huffington accomplished what she wanted to accomplish. She created this wonderful thing. And what have they done with that? They want clicks, I get it. They’ve gotta have clicks for their advertisers, so they’re going to need as much Kim Kardashian and wardrobe malfunctions as possible. The other day, they had a thing on the home page about pimples. Tripe. Liberal and conservative media are now precisely equivalent.

I’m aware that it’s ironic that I’m making this case in the media—but this is the last time I’m going to talk about my personal life in an American publication ever again.


From a very, very long open letter on Vulture by Alec Baldwin, following accusations of homophobia - or rather of using homophobic language - last year, "by Andrew Sullivan, Anderson Cooper, and others in the Gay Department of Justice".

He's kinda right. Seems you can't say a bad word - like 'queen' FFS!!? - without the pink witch-hunters lighting their torches. 

NB He doesn't say he's retiring, as some have claimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment