Tuesday 15 February 2011

Glee: Straight Acting Gay (Not Bi)

"Blaine is NOT bi. He is gay, and will always be gay. I think it's very important to young kids that they know this character is one of them."

Glee creator Ryan Murphy, in a short statement sent to Perez Hilton.
Murphy was responding to a blind item on Hilton's blog suggesting Blaine would become bisexual - which went viral over the weekend.
Perez Hilton was presumably reading a little too much into a comment made by Ryan Murphy in a profile of actor Darren Criss in the latest issue of Out magazine.

"It’s my job as showrunner to keep them apart as long as possible," says Ryan Murphy. "Blaine will openly question whether bisexuality is real. I think that some people will love that discussion and some will not love it."
He’s even coy about whether they’ll get together at all. "When that moment comes - if it comes, says Murphy, "I want to treat that relationship like we treat all the other relationships on the show. I want it to be as flawed and as exposed as everyone else’s."


The delicious Mr Criss took a well-earned break from looking sultry and sweaty in Out's fashion photoshoot to add to the current debate about gay acting straight and vice versa;
"I think it’s more empowering to everybody, including myself, if I’m articulate about identifying myself as a straight male playing a gay character. Ultimately, that’s more powerful for both communities."

5 comments:

  1. That's what's so great about Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Hannibal Lecter, I think; 'cause it's like a non-serial-killing-psychopath playing a serial-killing psychopath. Or when Bruno Ganz - a noted non-genocidal-egomaniac-anti-semite - portrayed Hitler so convincingly.
    Acting, I believe it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Darren Criss should be made to do bumming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he should deffo show his hairy chest more on Glee.
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite happy seeing him in his school uniform.
    But they should have an episode where he has a winky-wank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rumours still persist...

    From tvline.com today;

    Question: OK, I’ll bite: Which female character does Blaine mess around with on Glee?

    Lynne Ausiello: Fox’s promo department already spoiled it — he macks on Rachel! It all goes down at what Mercedes refers to as, “The Rachel Berry House Party Train Wreck Extravaganza!”

    ReplyDelete