Wednesday 16 February 2011

ABBA: No, Thank You!

"Now, I have to say something while I am standing here - looking like this.
"In the 80s ABBA were distinctly 'uncool', totally out of fashion.
"And I thought 'Well, that's it! It was fun while it lasted, but now it's over.'
"But for some strange reason we still remained popular on the gay scene.
"And - maybe it sounds like I'm sucking up, but I don't care - when we got a revival in the late 80s, early 90s, I'm sure it's because we had stayed popular on the gay scene - that was the most important factor.
"I will never get a better opportunity to show my gratitude - our gratitude; mine, Benny's, Frida's and Agnetha's.
"Thank you, you kind people."

The wondrous Björn Ulvaeus at last night's QX Gay Gala 2011 Awards in Stockholm, Sweden.
Translation Fagburn's own - tack så mycket.
Björn was presenting the main award - Årets Homo [Best Homo/Gay Person Of The Year] - to photographer Elisabeth Ohlson-Wallin. She did those photos with Jesus in the nip.
Anni-Frid Lyngstad appears in today's BBC Radio 4 Afternoon Play, Like An Angel Passing Through My Room, alongside its author, Christopher Green (AKA Tina C), about growing up as a gay boy obsessed with ABBA... [Edit: Listening now, it's lovely].
And finally, I think I invented this: Man walks into a bar. He says; "I'm sorry Björn, Benny, Agnetha & Anni-Frid, I didn't see you there..."

2 comments:

  1. Do you mean the translation on the video is yours, Fagburn!?
    Or am I being colossally stupid?

    OMG, am I the only one who was welling up watching that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I have done a new translation for the post as the one on the subtitles were written by someone with a somewhat shaky grasp of English.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete