Friday 20 August 2010

Ray Gosling: Free the Nottingham One


A snack-sized feeding frenzy today over the news that the "veteran broadcaster", Ray Gosling, could face prosecution and be charged with wasting police time following his televised claim that he had carried out a "mercy killing", smothering an ex-lover who was in terrible pain and dying from Aids.
Gosling made the claim in February on a BBC East Midlands magazine programme, Inside Out (Watch it here).
He was arrested on suspicion of murder, but was never charged.
He told the Nottingham Evening Post he'd been released after telling police the name of the man he said he'd killed.
Fagburn greatly admires Mr Gosling, slightly barking though he may be; an instinctive anarchist whose work has always celebrated and defended ordinary people.
It may not be coincidental that his "confession" was made soon after the death of his friend and mentor, Colin Ward, the giant of gentle Anarchism who was Gosling's editor on Freedom, Anarchy, and New Society. Some of his earliest writing appears in The Faber Book of Pop.
Gosling's involvement in the struggle for gay liberation goes back to the North West Homosexual Law Reform Committee in the 60s. More recently, in 1998 he made the only TV broadcast in defence of the Bolton 7, and with Allan Horsfall ran the website, Gay Monitor.
Ray Gosling posted the following statement on Gay Monitor:

"Little did I know my short film for the BBC East Midlands where I have a close intimate relationship with viewers over many many films would become a big worldwide item. I have had hundreds of e-mails and letters of support, sympathy and “Oh you silly bugger”. Thank you. I have had conversations of sadness with members of the lad I loved's family and I have tried to protect his identity. I have nothing more to say on death. I AM writing a big book on sex - the loves I've had, the lads I've chased and not got and the lads with whom I have. In this book this incident will not feature or not much. I shall continue to protect as best I can the identity of the beautiful witty sexy young man I so loved and so loved me. And I shall now on this moment of a long life as best I can shut up."

The CPS summons alleges that Gosling "caused wasteful employment of the police by knowingly making to Bill Turnbull a false report tending to show that an offence had been committed. Contrary to sec 5 (2) of the Criminal Law Act 1967".
Ray Gosling may have been making mischief - he certainly made a timely and important contribution to the debate about euthanasia and assisted suicide.
Fagburn says free Ray Gosling.
If anyone is to be charged with "wasting police time", then it should be the police.

1 comment:

  1. Gosling has said today;

    ""I'm sorry if the police think they wasted their time. It was a small item on a regional TV programme, Inside Out, to my people, with whom I have had an intimate relationship. It got out of hand that winter evening. I had had a week or two talking to people who had told me of the pacts they had had – some fulfilled with wives, lovers, husbands, who were dying in pain and some told me of pacts unfulfilled. I did not expect it to cause this fuss, I'm not joining any cause."
    "I know what some people say, that I said what I did for publicity to promote a book I'm writing. That is absolutely not true, I haven't finished the book yet. Some people say I did it to revive a dying career. I didn't. I said it out of my heart, out of my feeling for people who had told me their intimate private stories and it got out of hand and I'm sorry."

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/aug/20/ray-gosling-charged-partner-aids

    ReplyDelete