Monday 30 August 2010

Quote of the Day: Crispin Blunt


"I believe it right that our law should discriminate in that limited way between homosexual and heterosexual practice. While I accept that, in law, we should tolerate people's choices to follow a homosexual life style and practice, I maintain that those are not equivalent to heterosexuality - nor should we pretend that they are. It is also clear that there a much greater strand of homosexuality than of heterosexuality which depends for its gratification on the explpoitation of youth.
"I am sorry if Labour members do not like the truth, but I do not intend to run away from difficult issues."

Crispin Blunt MP, who came out as a lesser homosexual on Friday, speaking in parliamement as a presumed heterosexual in 1998.
Oops.

1 comment:

  1. I know it's hard being closeted - particularly in the Tory Party during the '80s and '90s, one suspects - but Jesus fucking Christ, what an absolute cunt this man must be.
    I've no sympathy at all, I'm afraid.
    I'm sure it's possible that he must have been going through issues of self-hatred or something and we should be more understanding, but sod that - this is unforgivable.

    Doesn't Matthew Parris maintain that Thatcher wasn't homophobic?
    What's striking about that page from the Public Whip about Crispin Blunt's voting record is that it's pretty unambiguous in its homophobia. That is, on the few votes concerning gay people where he actually bothered turning up. And in the vast majority of votes the Tories voted against the interests of gay people. No surprise there.
    I like Matthew Parris, but how anyone can say there wasn't a pernicious atmosphere of homophobia within the Conservative Party throughout the '80s and '90s is beyond me.
    In that atmosphere I guess it's easier to understand why a closeted man like Blunt would say what he did in 1998, but I still can't work out why anyone who's gay would want to join the tory party in the first bloody place.

    ReplyDelete