Monday 12 April 2010

Free from desire


I heard a programme on BBC Radio 4 about "chemical castration" for serial sex offenders.
Although people working in that field don't use that term, they did say that it's quite common, and the drugs most often used today is fluoxetine - that's the generic name for Prozac.
It's certainly acted as a real passion killer with me, and a lowered libido is one of the most reported side effects in men.
I wonder if there's any connection between losing your sex drive and being happier?
Maybe the Buddhists are onto something when they say nirvana comes from being free from desire?

I also liked this quote I came across yesterday from Flaubert; “To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.”
Maybe it's better to be miserable after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment