Monday 14 September 2015

Tom Hardy: Unopening

Tom Hardy plays a bisexual gangster in Legend, where he co-stars with himself as the infamous East End London gangsters Ronnie Kray and Reggie Kray in Brian Helgeland's violent period drama.

But when a reporter during the Legend presser at the Toronto Film Festival on Saturday asked Hardy about past media reports that hinted at an "ambiguous" sexuality, the Mad Max: Fury Road and Inception star responded with a quick slap down. "What on earth are you on about?" Hardy questioned the reporter from Daily Xtra, a Toronto LGBT publication.

The journalist cited a 2008 Attitude magazine interview where the Brit actor apparently admitted to gay flings as a younger man. "But what is your question?" Hardy demanded, his voice now loud and resolute.

"I'm wondering if you find it difficult for celebrities to talk about their sexuality," the reporter returned. Hardy then asked menacingly: "I don't find it difficult for celebrities to talk about their sexuality. Are you asking about my sexuality?"

"Hum... sure," the reporter replied, showing the strain of their encounter. It was easy to see now why Hardy, who plays twin brothers as villainous murderers in Legend, is a go-to to embody intimidating film characters. "Why?" Hardy questioned, before dismissing the reporter with a final "thank you," while director Helgeland and co-star Emily Browning looked on uncomfortably...


The Hollywood Reporter.

Watch it here. 

What he said (or was quoted as saying); ''As a boy? Of course I have. I'm an actor for ****'s sake.

'I've played with everything and everyone. I love the form and the physicality, but now that I'm in my thirties, it doesn't do it for me... A lot of gay men get my thing for shoes.'!


PS From The Grauniad...

1 comment:

  1. I'm not surprised that he reacted like that. What relevance is an interview given 7 years ago? And what relevance is his sexuality? Shouldn't we be past the stage of asking "straight" actors how difficult it is to play gay? No-one would ask him if he'd assaulted or murdered anyone before. It's called acting.

    ReplyDelete