Friday 27 March 2015

Telegraph: Th Arrival Of Same-sex Marriage On Year Ago... [sic]

I was seventeen in 1987; if I recall correctly, that was my year of chairing the local Young Conservatives. Thatcher’s conference line, and Section 28 that followed it, devastated my psychological development. I resigned from the YCs, but couldn’t, of course, spell out why. First love arrived a year later, at 18, but I fled from, and hurt, that first man who had found me in the university library, and thought me worthwhile. I couldn’t square my desire for that man with the sermon the Prime Minister and her – my – party were teaching the country...


Must be a scream at the Telegraph offices these days - even if you've sacked all your subs - say hiya to Paul and Tim!

PS Oh, hang on...

Said the gay Tory who was an MP in the Thatcher years...

1 comment:

  1. I like Dame Matthew as a person but she can be a bit noncey. On the Great Lives programme someone said "I always think, what would Nelson Mandela do?" to which he replied "I always think, what would Margaret Thatcher do?"

    ReplyDelete